A WAHM's Work-in-progress: Plans and Schedules

One other thing about being a WAHM aside from the discpline factor, one must be aware that everything would revolve around the baby and that all your plans for the day usually does not turn out the way you planned earlier.

When I say that everything revolves around the baby, I meant that your schedule and whatever you intend to do is planned around the baby's schedule... like you can't do your work around 8am-11am because that is when you need to bathe her or prepare breakfast, read to her, etc. Then, you know that around 1-3pm, is when she has her lunch, and you spend some time playing with her to stimulate her brain (and get her to feel tired) and then you need time to get her to take a nap... and so on and so forth. After all, most of us WAHmummies decide to take the plunge for an early retirement all because we want to take care of our kids and manage the household by ourselves, right? Thus, everything would revolve around everyone else in the family and only then can you get your work done.

Of course, this is where discipline comes in - of us prioritising and trying to fit in work in between because we have committed to the deadlines and all. For me, I know that I could depend on the one after he arrives home from work, to take care of the baby. This is when I am able to focus entirely on my work, but I don't discount the much welcomed (and unwelcomed) breaks from little jj from time to time, as she would constantly try to grab my attention in any way she can ;)

Unlike you guys working in the office, my usual working hours start at 9pm and can last til 3-5am. After that, I could go to sleep and still wake up early and not sleep during the day (with much help from Mr Nescafe!). Sometimes I do fall asleep when the baby's taking her afternoon nap but that would be rare since I would always feel that it's a waste of time sleeping when there are so many things to do at home. Thus, afternoon naps with the baby is only necessary when I am waaay too tired to even accomplish anything good at work.

Like today, I planned to go over Sunway Pyramid or 1U to get some stuff after picking up something from a client's office. However, the client was around when I came to see her staff and the meeting ran over later than I expected... seeing that it was coming to little jj's afternoon nap session, I decided to just head home instead so that she could sleep well and not be a cranky baby later today... so that mommy can watch American Idol in peace hehe...

Well, actually, I could just let her fall asleep in the stroller if we do go out but I just didn't want to have to wait for her to wake up before we could go home since it has been raining very heavily in the evenings these past few days and I seriously do not want to get caught in bad traffic. So... I guess I could just go out again tomorrow to search for those things which do not require any urgent attention anyways.

I had also earlier planned to take a nap with her while she's napping since I slept late last night trying to get some work done but thinking that I might get so engrossed with American Idol this evening (haha!) I'd better keep on working now that she's napping ;P

So, don't bother me this evening cos it'll be one of those rare occasions on one of those rare seasons where Madam ToughCookie will be glued to the TV.

Ahhh... with all the stress managing kids and household schedules, there are the perks to being a WAHM, no? :D

7 comments:

dillazag said...

hear! hear!
i love american idol too.. especially the auditions stage. way too funny. hihihihihi
it's just too bad that simon's leaving though.

Anis Zainal-Pacleb said...

I sooooo can relate on this issue.... no matter how tiring it is to be a SAHM, I'm counting my blessings that I was able to leave my fulltime job to be at home with my lil girl....

toughcookie said...

heya dilla,
ya, it's sad la... sure dah tak best sangat lepas ni sebab kita watch pun partly because of him :)

NICOLE!!
need help in translation! this is an absolute joke!

anis dear,
ya man... i teringat that lengthy email i wrote to you regarding how much i wished i could retire early but didn't think i could... tak sangka my wish came true :)

sitisabri said...

cookie,
i love American Idol too! I am watching the 8pm shows while having dinner hehe.

btw, i don't think i can get anything done if i stayed at home with Zara. I tried to squeeze time for some work on weekend and I failed :p

emly2175 said...

which is why I'm comtemplating to be a WAHM or only SAHM ..coz, even now as a working mom at office, i can only get my me-time after 1030 pm at night..Tuh ade maid..kalau tak de maid lagi la dekat 12 mlm.. huhu..

CathJ said...

Very cute name 'toughcookie'... hehehhe...

Visiting your blog today..

AJ said...

good luc..It not easy being a WAHM rite?